Squadron Scrapbook London
Utility Transport Squadron Four (VRU-4), the predecessor to VR-24, was commissioned on 3 December 1946 at RAF Station Hendon, just north of downtown London. At the same time, a VRU-4 Detachment was established at the Naval Air Facility Port Lyautey, French Morocco. On September 1, 1948 VRU-4's designation was changed to Air Transport Squadron Twenty Four (VR-24). On 1 August 1950, the squadron command was transferred to Port Lyautey. Personnel and operations remaining at Hendon became VR-24 Det Hendon. VR-24 Det Hendon was decommissioned June 24, 1952 when VR-25 was established on the field. Information is not presently available on how long VR-25 operated from Hendon or whether VR-24 continued to use the field. However, it is known that the field closed in 1956. VR-24 continued its presence in London in order to provide "rapid-response" air transportation for CINCNELM. Flying into Blackbushe until that field was closed in June 1960, then into West Malling, the squadron maintained a "ready-duty" flight crew in London through August 1960 when the last flight crew was withdrawn.
The photos shown below were provided by a former member of VR-24. Anyone who has additional photos and material relating to VR-24 operations at Hendon which they wish to share is encouraged to send them to Dick Prather, Webmaster/Editor of the VR-24 website.
The article below on UTILITY TRANSPORT SQUADRON FOUR (VRU-4) was contributed by Joe Tumminelli who served as an Aviation Electrician with the squadron. Joe did multiple tours with VR-24 and its predicessor, VRU-4. Joe was variously assigned to VRU-4, VR-24, FASRON 76, and FASRON Special 200 from 1947 to 1950, and from 1952 to 1956 at RAF Hendon near London. He was again assigned to VR-24 in 1959 at Port Lyautey.
(tumminelli collection)VRU-4 Operations at RAF Hendon
Top of Page
Go direct to Hendon Page (2), (3), (4) (5) (6), (7) (8) (9), (10) (11)
Return to Scrapbook Page One
Return to Home Page